Newcastle is famed for its series of 7 bridges that are all found within a 1/2 mile stretch of the river Tyne.
(1) The Gateshead Millennium Bridge was designed by the architect WilkinsonEyre, and when it was opened in 2001 was the worlds first bridge to pivot sideways to allow boats through. Often called the ‘Blinking Eye Bridge’ or ‘Winking Eye Bridge’ due to its eye shape and tilting method, the Millennium bridge is a cyclist and pedestrian bridge that was constructed off-site and lifted into place by the crane ‘Asian Hercules II’ which is one of the world’s largest floating cranes.
(2) Tyne Bridge was inspired by The Hell Gate Bridge in New York City, and is a Grade II listed structure that was opened on 10 October 1928 by King George V, and is one of the defining symbols of Tyneside. Designed by engineering firm Mott, Hay and Anderson who later designed the famous Forth Road Bridge in Scotland.
(3) High Level Bridge was opened on 7 June 1849 by Queen Victoria and is a great feat of engineering, being the first bridge in the world to combine both rail and road. It is a Grade I listed structure and was built by the Hawks family from over 5,000 tons of iron.
(4) Queen Elizabeth II Metro Bridge was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1981, and is a bright blue bridge designed to carry the metro between Newcastle and Gateshead. The train travels through tunnels at either end of the bridge, but emerges into the open air as it crosses the bridge.
(5) King Edward VII Bridge is described as one of the last great railway bridges constructed in Britain, and is a Grade II listed structure which was opened on 10 July 1906 by King Edward VII, and links Newcastle to Gateshead.
(6) Swing Bridge is another Grade II listed bridge, and stands on the site of the Old Tyne Bridges of 1270 and 1781, and also of the earlier Roman bridge. The current bridge was opened on 17 July 1876, and at the time was the largest swing bridge ever built.
(7) Redheugh Bridge The original bridge was designed by Thomas Bouch in 1859, but design flaws saw it replaced in 1897. Again, this new bridge had to be replaced due to design flaws and in 1983 the current bridge you see today was opened by Diana, Princess of Wales.