The tower was built in separate parts. First, the White Tower, which was built in 1078. Then, the Inner Ward which was built during the 1190s. Finally, it was re-built in 1285 and the Wharf expansion was made in 1377-1399. It was constructed on the orders of William the Conqueror, and subsequent British monarchs built on it throughout the years.